Dougie MacLean’s fantastic folk festival celebrates ten years with a stellar line-up
- Eddi Reader, Duncan Chisholm and Rachel Sermanni lead the line-up at Perthshire Amber 2014
- Festival dates 24 October – 2 November 2014
- Tickets on sale from Tuesday 13 May
The Perthshire Amber Festival, a highlight in Scotland’s music calendar and part of Homecoming 2014, announces the 2014 line-up today (Thursday 8 May). The tenth anniversary of the festival will see some of the top musicians and the best song writers from the previous ten years return to feature in the exciting line-up. Festival favourite Eddi Reader will perform at stunning Blair Castle on Monday 27 October, the super talented Duncan Chisholm will play at atmospheric Dunkeld Cathedral on Thursday 30 October and up and rising star Rachel Sermanni will open the festival in one of the new festival venues at Fornab Castle, Pitlochry. One of the musical highlights in the programme will be Dougie MacLean performing with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra (RSNO), a result of their recent recording and performance collaboration, which will take place in Perth Concert Hall on Friday 31 October.
The festival, which was founded by MacLean and his family ten years ago, started out as a weekend of concerts. The festival has grown year on year and organisers are expecting to reach an audience of 10,000 during the ten day festival this year. The packed programme features fantastic home grown talent including Emily Smith, Tom Spiers and the Mischa McPherson Trio and a cluster of amazing international musicians including The Paperboys from Vancouver, Eliza Lynn from Nashville and Buddy MacDonald from Cape Breton.
Perthshire Amber is one of the funded events in the Homecoming 2014 programme and as a new development for the festival they are launching a Heritage Day planned for the first Saturday of the festival in Dunkeld. The Heritage Day will celebrate the history and culture of the area and will include a themed Decorated Wheelbarrow Procession through Dunkeld, historical re-enactments, food and drink, traditional children’s games and storytelling and of course some great live music!
Dougie MacLean said:
"We can’t quite believe it’s been ten years since we started Perthshire Amber and from small beginnings we are proud that it’s grown to be so popular. The thing that really sums up what’s great about the festival is that increasing numbers of people return year on year from all over the world and so it’s like catching up with old friends. Perthshire is especially stunning in autumn and I don’t think music fans will get a better welcome than the one they get in Dunkeld. We have some really inspiring talent performing this year and a fantastic variety of venues, there’s plenty to celebrate and I’m really looking forward to the festival already."
Tickets for Perthshire Amber 2014 go on sale at 4.00pm (UK time) on Tuesday 13th May. Visit www.perthshireamber.com for the full line-up and to buy tickets or call the box office on 01350 724261.
Notes to Editors:
Perthshire Amber Festival
- Dougie MacLean OBE is one of Scotland's finest songwriter-composers, internationally renowned for his song 'Caledonia', music for 'Last of the Mohicans' and inspired performances worldwide - from New York's Carnegie Hall to London's Festival Theatre and The Sydney Opera House.
- MacLean's songs have been covered by Paolo Nutini, Amy MacDonald, Ronan Keating, Mary Black, Frankie Miller, Cara Dillon, Kathy Mattea and many other top performers. He's recently received two prestigious Tartan Clef Awards, a place in the Scottish Music Hall of Fame and an OBE in the 2011 New Year Honours list. ‘Caledonia’ was recently voted one of Scotland’s best loved songs on the ITV Show ‘Scotland’s Greatest Album’. Dougie was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to song writing in the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards 2013.
- The Perthshire Amber Festival is grateful to the following funders and supporters: Homecoming Scotland 2014; Creative Scotland; Caledonia Best; Perth & Kinross Council; Edradour Distillery; Bell &Co Chartered Accountants; VisitScotland; Scotmid Co-op; Palmerstons, Dunkeld; The Royal Hotel Dunkeld and all the local businesses who offer support through the PALS scheme.
Homecoming Scotland 2014
- Scotland will welcome the world in the Year of Homecoming 2014- providing a year-long programme of events alongside the Ryder Cup and Commonwealth Games.
- The Year of Homecoming Scotland will run from 31 December 2013 to 31 December 2014 throughout the length and breadth of the country.
- Visitors from around the world are invited to join in a celebration of the nation’s food and drink, active pursuits, cultural heritage, nature and ancestral heritage.
- Homecoming Scotland 2014 is a Scottish Government initiative being led by EventScotland and VisitScotland, supported by numerous partners.
- To find out more visit www.homecomingscotland.com