BBC Radio 2 Young Folk Award 2014 Winners Mischa MacPherson Trio are part of a stellar line-up performing at the tenth Perthshire Amber Festival later this autumn. The festival was founded by singer songwriter Dougie MacLean and has grown from a weekend of concerts to a ten day musical extravaganza featuring over 350 musicians. MacLean who recently performed his much-loved anthem Caledonia at the Closing Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow is also celebrating 40 years as a touring musician.
Mischa McPherson will play as part of her Trio with Innes White and Conal McDonagh at a special Heritage Concert as part of Homecoming 2014 on Saturday 25 October in Blairgowrie Town Hall. In addition to some of Dougie’s best-loved songs, the line-up will feature Emily Smith, Mischa MacPherson Trio and Tom Spiers performing Burns, ballads, Gaelic song and some fantastic collaborations.
Mischa McPherson explains more:
"After an exciting and eventful summer this year, the three of us are now so looking forward to coming to Perthshire Amber at the end of the October. It’s a real honour to have been invited to perform as we have heard so many lovely things about its welcoming atmosphere and incredible music. We’re also all great fans of Dougie’s music and are really looking forward to hearing him again, as well as maybe even getting the chance to have a song with him. Perthshire is a place we all know, and its scenery never disappoints. It seems like the perfect place to hold an Autumn folk festival and we can’t wait to attend this year, as excited first time goers."
Dougie MacLean said:
"We are delighted to have Mischa, Innes and Conal come to the festival. They are all really talented up and coming musicians and they are a welcome addition to the Perthshire Amber family. I think Mischa’s voice is fantastic and I’m looking forward to performing with them at the Heritage Concert in Blairgowrie."
The Perthshire Amber festival takes place from 24 October until the 2 November and takes place in 25 special venues across Perthshire; from the prestigious Perth Concert Hall, to majestic Blair Castle and ancient Dunkeld Cathedral to the unique iron-age Crannog on Loch Tay. The packed line-up features established festival favourites and home-grown stars Eddi Reader, Duncan Chisholm and Rachel Sermanni, as well as top talent from overseas including Eliza Lynn from Nashville, Buddy MacDonald from Cape Breton and The Paperboys from Vancouver. The Royal Scottish National Orchestra has collaborated with Dougie MacLean this year to produce an already acclaimed album and will perform on 31 October at Perth Concert Hall, which is tipped to be one of the festival highlights. Last year the festival attracted over 8000 visitors from 22 countries worldwide and as well as an impressive line-up of concerts, the fringe programme, known as ‘Amber Discoveries’ includes walks, talks, workshops, Open Mic Sessions, Cabaret Amber and pub sessions around the festival hub in Dunkeld and Birnam.
For more information on the full festival line-up and to book tickets go to www.perthshireamber.com or call the festival box office on 01350 724261.
Notes to Editors:
Perthshire Amber Festival
- Dougie MacLean OBE is one of Scotland's finest songwriter-composers, internationally renowned for his song 'Caledonia', music for 'Last of the Mohicans' and inspired performances worldwide - from New York's Carnegie Hall to London's Festival Theatre and The Sydney Opera House.
- MacLean's songs have been covered by Paolo Nutini, Amy MacDonald, Ronan Keating, Mary Black, Frankie Miller, Cara Dillon, Kathy Mattea and many other top performers. He's recently received two prestigious Tartan Clef Awards, a place in the Scottish Music Hall of Fame and an OBE in the 2011 New Year Honours list. ‘Caledonia’ was recently voted one of Scotland’s best loved songs on the ITV Show ‘Scotland’s Greatest Album’. Dougie was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to song writing in the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards 2013.
- The Perthshire Amber Festival is grateful to the following funders and supporters: Homecoming Scotland 2014; Creative Scotland; Event Scotland and Perth & Kinross Council; Caledonia Best; Edradour Distillery; Bell &Co Chartered Accountants; Butterstone Management & Events; Butterstone Studios; Cove Productions; Stagecoach; Wicked Chocolate; VisitScotland; Scotmid Co-op; Palmerstons, Dunkeld; Celtic Music Radio; The Royal Hotel Dunkeld and all the local businesses who offer support through the PALS scheme.
- Scotland will welcome the world in the Year of Homecoming 2014- providing a year-long programme of events alongside the Ryder Cup and Commonwealth Games.
- The Year of Homecoming Scotland will run from 31 December 2013 to 31 December 2014 throughout the length and breadth of the country.
- Visitors from around the world are invited to join in a celebration of the nation’s food and drink, active pursuits, cultural heritage, nature and ancestral heritage.
- Homecoming Scotland 2014 is a Scottish Government initiative being led by EventScotland and VisitScotland, supported by numerous partners.
- To find out more visit www.homecomingscotland.com